Genuine Scotchgard brand protection lets you keep your carpets beautiful while making cleanup easy:
- Save time and stress with easy stain removal
- Scotchgard protection makes vacuuming more effective—dirt lifts right off
- Designed to be stain resistant, Scotchgard carpets keep their original beauty for years
- Tough stains? Get smart, accurate advice through the Scotchgard Service Center.
EASY MAINTENANCE TIPS
- To prevent dirt from being tracked onto your carpets, place doormats at all commonly used entrances and clean them regularly
- Vacuum frequently to keep dirt particles from discoloring or abrading carpet fibers. A vacuum with a beater bar will raise the carpet pile to keep your carpet plush
- Blot (don’t rub!) spills immediately with white paper towels or a clean, absorbent cloth
- Professionally deep-clean periodically with hot-water extraction to prevent wear patterns from emerging
EASY 3-STEP SPOT-CLEANING GUIDE
This guide to cleaning common household spills and stains will help you keep your carpets looking like new.
CLEANING WATER-BASED STAINS
Most water-based stains can be removed with Step 1, outlined below. If the stain persists, continue treating it with Steps 2 and 3.
SPECIAL WATER-BASED STAINS
For these stains, start with Step 1, then continue to Step 3 if needed. Do NOT apply Step 2.
OIL-BASED, GREASY STAINS
Use Goo Gone according to manufacturer instructions to start treating these stains, then continue with Steps 1, 2, and 3.
3-STEP SPOT REMOVAL FOR FLOOR COVERINGS
- Scrape up and remove solids with a spoon or dull knife. To keep large stains from spreading, work from the outside of the spot towards the center
- Blot liquids with an absorbent towel or paper towel
- Make a cleaning solution by stirring ¼ teaspoon clear dishwashing detergent into 1 cup of water. Moisten a clean white cloth with the cleaning solution and use the cloth to dampen the stained area. Do not oversaturate the carpet
- Clean the area gently, turning the cloth frequently. To avoid damaging carpet fibers, do not rub, scrub, or brush the stained area
- Rinse the stained area with clean, lukewarm water. Press an absorbent towel or paper towel onto the area to remove excess water. Repeat as needed to fully remove cleaning solution
- Once stain is completely removed, put a clean, dry towel over the treated area and weigh it down with a heavy, color-fast object. Replace the towel once it becomes wet. Continue until the area is completely dry
- If stain persists, continue to Step 2 or Step 3, as indicated above
- Note this step is NOT to be used on coffee, tea, or urine stains
- Make a cleaning solution by combining 2 tablespoons household ammonia and 1 cup of water. Do not use bleaching or foaming ammonia cleaners
- Using the methods outlined in Step 1, apply cleaning solution, rinse, and blot. Do NOT use paper towels for blotting
- Continue to Step 3 to neutralize the ammonia
- Combine 2 cups water and 1 cup white vinegar
- Apply, rinse, and blot vinegar mixture as outlined in Step 1
- If the stain still persists, call the Scotchgard Service Center at 1-800-433-3296
WHY DO STAINS REAPPEAR?
Sometimes, stains reappear after spot cleaning. This is not unusual—it happens when residual liquid in the carpet padding or backing has wicked through the carpet fibers and become visible on the surface. These stains can be removed using the appropriate choice of the three steps outlined above.
HOW TO PREVENT REAPPEARING STAINS
- Blot treated area thoroughly to remove excess liquid and any residual soil
- If possible, use a wet vac to remove liquid from treated area. Place clean white paper towels over the treated area to absorb resurfacing soil and weigh down with a heavy, colorfast object
- If possible, use a fan near the treated area to accelerate drying